A trip to Nashville of course. (Just to make some of you feel better, I don't just go off and desert my husband, he actually gets better studying in. And I make sure he has plenty of food to eat, clean laundry, and of course, Jack, while I am gone.)
I left for Nashville on Thursday and went to PM with my sister that night.
Ahhh, good sushi, good talks, and good weather on Belmont Boulevard. We had a great time sitting out on the patio and catching up...we shared these crab wontons that were to die for!!!
I got home that night and spent some time with my dad (mom was in Florida with her girlfriends) who was glad to have his "little buddy" home. He showed me the progress on the master shower that he has been working on. He has already tiled the floor himself...I don't know how or where he got so many handyman skills but I am quite envious of them. On Friday morning my friend Anna Grace came over and we hiked in my parents neighborhood; the reason I say "hike" and not "walk" is because their neighborhood has more hills than all of Memphis.
Friday night I went to Urban Flats with some of my bests..AG, Julianna, and Jessi. And, I confess, we shopped a little at Urban Outfitters before....it was a very "urban" night all in all. Dinner was fabulous (the menu is all flatbreads, which I love,love,love) and we saw about half of Lipscomb which was fun. I love hearing the Nashville drama since the only drama I have in Memphis deals with middle schoolers and makes me feel pretty pathetic.
Saturday was lake day. I cannot go to Nashville in July and not go to the lake...it is just not possible. My dad and I went along with Alex, my cousin on my dad's side who had never been wakeboarding before and tore it up. Seriously, she got up on the second try and perfected it. We took the Explorer which is not well suited for towing a speed boat...I have never smelled more burnt rubber in my life. The boat, however, treated us very well and we had an amazing day, although it was the only cold day of the whole summer.
Sunday was an experience. My dad and I drove to Cookeville to attend church at the nursing home with my Lulu. She was so happy to see us and her and my dad talked loudly while everyone else was singing and confused. The people that sang and spoke did a great job going on with normal "church" business while the phone was ringing, machines were beeping, and wheelchairs were getting closer and closer. After the service, we sat with her while she ate lunch. The table consisted of Lulu, my dad, me, a woman who was excused after throwing up on her bib, a daibetic woman who wouldn't eat anything but her dessert, and a jolly woman named Margie who made me laugh harder than anyone in a long time. Despite how sad it is to see these people who have lived such wonderful, rich lives now living in a nursing home, there is some humor to be found in it all. Margie critiqued the turkey and dressing meal for a solid 40 minutes, telling us exactly how she would have cooked it and why she wouldn't eat it. She would talk even when everyone else was having separate conversations, going over recipes and such. She argued with the nurse til she was blue in the face, finally giving in to eating by inhaling the strawberry shortcake and sweet tea. The whole scene was just priceless, I wish it could be explained better in words.
That night I went to Ethos at the Cannery Ballroom, the church that Dave (the man that did our wedding) has started and which has quickly spread to hundreds of people. I got to eat some of the famous SATCO queso before going home and hearing all about my mom's trip to Florida. Monday I went on a hike with Michelle (my belle) at Radnor Lake, one of my most favorite places in Nashville. Finished the day by eating salmon and salad with my parents on the deck.
The trip came to an inevitable end after meeting up with another friend, Katie, at Starbucks.
Now that I caught up with all my friends and have spent all my money, it's time for the real world to sink in and start getting ready for my second year of teaching.
It's been good while it's lasted.
No comments:
Post a Comment