I'm keeping this post short (well, the writing part...I've got lots of photos to share) and limiting myself to only the highlights of the Labor Day Weekend. Randy and I drove to Nashville and I talked to middle school students at FRA about my artwork since I am the Alumni Artist this year. My artwork is displayed at the school for several months...even though my dad is the teacher, it is such an honor to have been chosen and such an encouragement for me to KEEP working as an artist...even though I am busy!
I discovered that a sewing machine that had belonged to my Aunt Bobbie is still perfectly in tact and now a heirloom in my parents' home. With Anna Grace showing me all the little details, I got very excited about this "found treasure" and hope to have it in my home one day. I just HAD to put up the pictures...mostly for you, Phyllis!
Sears, Kenmore Sewing Machine
All the little tools/feet/etc.
The vintage illustrations to go with the parts.

Of course we got to see the little kittens, Maximus and Rosie, who made it through the weekend unharmed.

And last but not least...The big part of our weekend was spent working in the yard of my Pa's soon-to-be home (his sweet brother-in-law left it to him after he died and my Pa is going to have it renovated and move in). My mom "tricked" Randy and I making us think it would be some weed pulling and then we would go to Burgess Falls for a picnic. We ended up spending hours and hours in the yard and then stuffing ourselves at Steak and Shake. It was all good fun- and a good workout too!
Our crew looking strong- Except for my mom and dad?!
Now we're tired...

That's right...I dug this root out of the ground with my bare hands! (actually I used a shovel)
Somehow I don't remember "tricking you" into going to Cookeville. I tried to get you guys to stop working and head to Burgess Falls, but oh, no....you wouldn't leave until you got that root out of the ground! At least you finally got your smores, although, not quite as exciting as if it had been at the Falls. Loved the weekend.....it was perfect in so many ways. Mom
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the art show Lynza. I will have to stop by and take a look at it! Love you!
ReplyDeleteThese pictures make me miss you guys!!!!
ReplyDeleteWell - I didn't know about the art show so - Congratulations!! What an honor!
ReplyDeleteAs far as the weekend at Pa's goes though - yes - we were an AWESOME team of grit and grunt and determination! I HAVE to send you the step by step pics of you in the final stages of your big "root removal!" You must admit that, no rainy trip to Burgess Falls could EVER match up to the camaraderie you experience while acquiring cuts, scratches, callouses, aching muscles, bug bites....need I go on?.....all in the interest of clearing out and cleaning up Pa's yard!!! I felt so much closer to Randy after we held that Juniper plant up so you and your mom could cut out its roots! I felt more of a bond with your dad as I watched him move those slate rocks onto the truck! Proud of Jack as he came to greet us upon completing the weed wacking of the entire back yard and in awe of your Uncle Mike as he kept his cool upon seeing me cover his car with dirt from the windblower! How could that experience have ever taken second place to some s'mores and a waterfall - I ask you??!!