Friday, September 4, 2009

The Call of the Wild

Remember this book? I don't really, except for I think the main character was a dog named Buck who was conflicted between joining the wild or staying civil. Well, I think my own son Jack is conflicted with the same decision this weekend. Those of you that have seen Jack in the past months...he has since grown...filled out...become more muscular...more manly. My students get to see his picture whenever a slideshow, video, etc. is ending in class and one student the other day said, "he looks like a lion!"...and he does!
Well, this Labor Day weekend we brought Jack to what we call the big house (my parents' place) to meet the kittens. We thought it would be best to meet them while they were small to get them used to one another. As a joke, we had been calling this week and used a deep, scary voice as Jack threatening the precious little kittens. Now I feel ashamed for the jokes because I think it was probably a valid threat without our knowing. At the big house, we tried to introduce Jack to little Maximus and even smaller Rosie on Friday night and, although Randy had a good grip, Jack was hissing, growling, and trying to get to the kittens. Strike 1.
Jack was banished to the garage while the kittens got the rest of the house (totally fair). Therefore, my mom was surprised the next morning when Jack ferociously busted through the --locked!--cat door and into the house. Luckily my mom picked him up before he could find what he was looking for. My dad came behind her with some serious duct tape and reinforced the lock. Strike 2.
The beast will now stay locked up as long as the kittens are out, which is making the poor guy so confused.
The weekend isn't over and all I am asking for is a safe three days with no strike 3...

1 comment: