Oh, the perks of being a teacher! Just when you don't think you can plan out any more art projects for middle schoolers to keep busy, something wonderful called Spring Break comes rolling along and sends a much needed break. This past week was a good balance of: family, road trips, good food, projects, and, oh yeah, more food.
Friday night Randy and I headed to Nashville. He was still feeling really bad, and adding a fever to a month full of studying cannot be fun at all. When my family and I left early for Cincinnati the next morning, Randy stayed at my parents house which he named "the crazy cat house" by the end of the weekend. We arrived in Cincy for lunch and ate some great wings at Toots. I loved seeing my sister and brother-in-laws apartment all decorated, because the last time I saw it it was empty. After lunch we spent the entire afternoon at the theme park-like atmosphere that is IKEA. Since that was enough to tire us, we went back and ate tacos in that night. Sunday was church, a delicious meal at a place named Arnolds, and some sight-seeing. They took us to a place called Mt. Adams that was amazing! It reminded me exactly of the true Hollywood Hills, steep road after steep road with all kinds of interesting blends of new and old architecture. The only problem is it felt like we were on top of a mountain in Canada it was so cold. That night we went to the famous Montgomery Inn, where George W. Bush is known for loving and having their ribs shipped to him. I wanted something light and got the blackened scallops salad and it was de-lic-ious! That night we finished a board game and spent our last night visiting. Monday morning we met Randy's side of the family (my precious Mamaw, Gr'ma and Gr'pa) at Cracker Barrel on the way home and despite being 40 minutes late (yes, we got lost..on the wrong highway to be exact) we had a wonderful time.

This was a monastery on top of Mt. Adams that we, unfortunately, could not get into.
The boys messing up yet another picture.
All the barbeque folk with their bibs on.
Family shot..minus Randy :(
The Wiley's (our gracious hosts) and Me
Back in Nashville, Phyllis (my mother-in-law) came and met us for dinner on Monday night. We had a project that had been set up for a while...my sister took some parsons chairs from a family that was giving them away. After sitting under the house for a while, she was ready to throw them out when I decided to snag them. I had no idea how I could use them, but knew it would be a fun project. My mom and I picked out some awesome fabric back for my birthday, and Phyllis had been taking one apart to find out how we were going to reupholster them. Well, we did it! It was work. And saying we is not politically correct: Phyllis did all the work, I was merely there for moral support. Just by watching (and I did tear apart the second chair...some of it) I feel like I learned a lot. This woman is amazing, I don't know how she does it! I cannot thank her enough for the chairs, they turned out sooo good! They aren't at home yet because we don't have room, but I cannot wait to have them in my home...and Jack will be extremely sorry if he so much as sits on one of them :)
In the midst of reupholstering, I got to go to dinner with Kelsa, who I had not seen in maybe the longest time of our entire friendship. To say it was needed is an understatement. We ate sushi at Wild Ginger, which had the best edamame I've ever, ever had. We talked and talked...and went to Starbucks to talk some more. Nothing better than an old friend who just gets you.
Another thing we were able to do is see our newly-two-year-old nephew, Grayden. Rob, Jen, and Grayden met us for lunch in Murfreesboro and it was so good to see them. Grayden is getting so big and is absolutely hilarious! He squeezed a lemon all over his face and then started licking it like crazy. At one point, Rob had to take Jen back to work and left Grayden with us. What's funny is he was sitting on one side of a long table and on the other side was Phyllis, Randy, and me. It was like he was being interrogated or was the newest contestant on American Idol or something on his highchair- too funny! Luckily it didn't freak him out so much he cried. I managed to snap one picture of him...

Here are the before and after pictures of the chairs, they aren't great but you can get the idea...and if you really want to see them, come visit us in Memphis!
And, I have to thank my talented friend, Anna Grace, for doing the buttons for us! (we broke ours)
Now it's just getting Jack back into his normal schedule that doesn't involve two cat-friends to play with and lots and lots of laundry for me!




Great update and post! I'm glad we got to visit for a little while, although I'm so sorry that I was in "work mode" and didn't get to really catch up with you guys. Love you guys! And the chairs look great!
ReplyDeleteit was SOOOOOOOO needed. peaaa is even trying to type you a message to you right now. she misses you too apparently.
ReplyDelete