Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ice, Games, & Birthdays

Thursday afternoon:
I am running around a school of 1,170 middle schoolers trying to deliver all of the "Jeans for Haiti" pins to teachers who paid a $5 donation to the Mobile Medical Disaster Relief fund. Thanks to an email from my sister-in-law, my school has been raising money to send to a group of doctors who are actually working in Haiti at this exact moment. We were all looking forward to getting to wear our jeans on Friday, it happens maybe once a year (if we're lucky).
Friday:
The jeans never went on...I stayed in jammies all day because it was a SNOW DAY! Actually, ice would be more appropriate to say. And it didn't even come until mid morning...but come it did. Don't worry about the jeans, though, we get a "rain date" this coming Friday. To validate the icy conditions, even UTM cancelled classes, so Randy got to be lazy all day, too. (He slept well into the 9 o'clock hour while I stayed awake from 5: 30 on)
Snow Pictures (all taken from our front porch)
Friday morning, about 10:30

Saturday morning

Sunday morning

Friday's agenda: Blueberry pancakes---watching the weather---Regis and Kelly---Exercise TV---movies from the clubhouse---then---cabin fever. We ended up getting out to Miss Cordelias, after it took Randy 30 minutes to defrost the car. We saw some friends there who had the same idea, and I got to bake some goodies: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and Puppy Chow. Later that night, we played Cranium with some dear Memphis friends and then sat around talking by the fire. All in all, a great snow day.

Amanda and Josh, the winners of Cranium

Saturday:
Another day of cabin fever...I think just the thought of not being able to get out makes it much worse, because most days I have no problem staying in. We watched another movie, ate, ate some more, and then went out to my cousin AMBA's 25th Birthday Party!
Poor Amber, the snow and ice just about ruined her big day, but luckily she was still able to celebrate with friends. We went to Dan McGuinness and had some good Irish pub food and met lots of Ambers friends, many of whom are hairdressers like her, and I felt like we were shooting a Pantene Pro-V commercial. Okay, not really, but I did feel lacking with my stick straight brown hair. If any of you do not know my cousin Amber, here is a testament to how good of a friend she is: about 20 people drove in ice to wish her a happy birthday, and one even baked her a beautiful, professionally done cake! Honestly, my cousin has a heart of gold and everyone knows it! Growing up, we were as close as sisters, and I am so blessed to have her as family...and as a hairdresser, too!
Birthday girl and ME!

at Dan McGuinness

Look at that Cake!!

Sunday:
This morning we went to church...passing trucks and SUV's in the volvo. Although most Memphis churches were cancelled, house churches don't operate in the same way :) Now it is a day of laundry and watching the snow melt.

Nashville folk, I wish we were there to actually have the fun stuff. What we got was not sledding snow, and although we could have at least had a snowball fight, we didn't do anything more than drive in it. I got my sledding fix back in Ohio so I am still content from that! Had I been in Nashville, I would have thoroughly enjoyed finally getting to sled on one of the three wooden sleds my dad has built.
Yes, I said three...does he know he lives in Nashville? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment