Established July 12, 2008...This is the story of a dental student from Ohio and an art teacher from Nashville who got hitched and moved to Memphis. It's hard to believe how much we have grown over the past two years and how God has been leading us. Living with a cat and a puppy in the 'hood, our life is anything but predictable, and that's the way I like it!
Sunday, October 4, 2009
A Backyard Wedding
I cannot believe this weekend has already come and gone. Friday night Randy and I went out to eat some Mexican food, shopped for his upcoming birthday, and watched our tivo'd Flash Forward...which we have already become very much hooked on after two episodes. Saturday was spent in an art workshop from 8-4 for me. (Long day, but both educational and enjoyable) Randy experienced my usual Saturday of grocery shopping and he even washed my car! That night we went to a wedding in Binghampton, where we attend a house church each week. One of the couples we know got married in one of the backyards in the area, and it could not have been a prettier day for a wedding. John David and Jessica had the Burundis (African refugees who live in the area) sing during the ceremony, and then for the recessional they also were the first to go back down the aisle singing and playing the bongo drums, then formed a sort of tunnel for the wedding party to walk through during the singing. It was very powerful to hear, and brought many smiles to everyone there. The reception was also outside and was catered by CENTRAL bbq much to Randy and I's approval. Eating barbeque, drinking ale8 (which had to have an announcement that it in fact was not an alcoholic beverage) and watching all the little American and African children dancing under the tent was a great way to spend our evening. This one little boy, Motan, was my shadow the whole night and would not leave my side. When getting the after-dinner chai latte, Motan got a cup as well and drank it up in two minutes flat! What a cute kid. Randy and I have truly been blessed to be a part of this neighborhood, church, and family.
Here are some pictures:
The Burundi singing....notice the window in the background. The kids that were in that room opened their window and watched the entire wedding.
Randy and I at the reception. (Good thing I had that cardigan, it got coooold!)
First dance under the tent.
MoTAN!
Here is a video of our church home here in Memphis, Christ Community (when all the house churches come together once a month at the SOS building). This is the Burundi and Sudanese people singing and dancing to one of their worship songs. It's kind of long, but at least stay with it through the middle for when the women do their part.
I don't come by and check out your blog very often Lynsi and, every time I do, I wonder why I don't!! If that makes any sense at all. ha! I am only on your most recent one and I already have the desire to wrap a piece of brightly colored material around myself, grab some bongo's or something and come to church with y'all next Sunday!! Seriously - one of these days - we've GOT to come. What a wonderful and awesome blessing y'all are experiencing every week!! It must be like being instantly transported to Africa or somewhere similar and attending a worship service there. What joy flows from these people in your video!! I bet God is smiling every time he sees this sort of praise! Thanks for sharing (now I'm going to read some more I've missed).
I don't come by and check out your blog very often Lynsi and, every time I do, I wonder why I don't!! If that makes any sense at all. ha! I am only on your most recent one and I already have the desire to wrap a piece of brightly colored material around myself, grab some bongo's or something and come to church with y'all next Sunday!! Seriously - one of these days - we've GOT to come. What a wonderful and awesome blessing y'all are experiencing every week!! It must be like being instantly transported to Africa or somewhere similar and attending a worship service there. What joy flows from these people in your video!! I bet God is smiling every time he sees this sort of praise! Thanks for sharing (now I'm going to read some more I've missed).
ReplyDelete