A mere three and a half hours seems like not too far to drive, but with such boring scenery, it is. Not only have we made the move, but the Hartmans continue to drive back and forth between Memphis and Nashville quite frequently. Along the way, I have made several conclusions about both my old home (Nashville) and my new home (Memphis). Here is my list...don't worry, I'll update as necessary.
1. Nashville is prettier, I will admit. If you take away the giant, empty pyramid in Memphis, it might put up a good fight.
2. The architecture of the buildings in downtown Memphis is better than Nashville, and the amount of "bungalow" style homes in areas like Cooper Young outnumber the bungalows in Nashville. (To some this might not matter, but I personally love the bungalow house style)
3. Nashville has better shopping, hands down.
4. Memphis was ranked the 2nd most miserable city to live in in the US by Forbes magazine...
5. But if you love barbeque, you can't do any better than Memphis (Central BBQ is our favorite)
6. Memphis is cheaper. If you want a cheap home, move to Memphis...especially if you do not have kids and have to worry about school districts.
7. Nashville has pretty parks where it is safe to walk, hike, etc. Memphis has a sidewalk along the Mississippi river that is pretty, but not shaded.
8. Memphis is more humid. But I've only lived here half a summer, so what do I know...
9. Macy's in Memphis targets towards "club goers" and I am not a club goer, therefore the Macy's in Nashville is better. (But Randy says "who cares")
10. Food...if you want healthy, Nashville is where you need to be, but if you want good old fashion southern food, Memphis wins. No question.
11. I don't deal with the city schools, but from what I have seen in the county, Nashville Metro schools and Shelby County schools are on about the same level for education.
12. There is not a lake close by in Memphis like in Nashville. But I don't have a boat, so unfortunately this isn't too big of a deal.
13. There are waaaay more cops in Memphis.
14. In Nashville, I went to a large, fairly conservative Church of Christ with all the big, fancy SUV drivers. In Memphis, I go to church at a home in Binghampton (a very poor and violent neighborhood) that is translated in Swahili for a family of Burundi Africans.
15. Nashville is more trendy, while Memphis seems to not care. The good thing about this is you can wear sweats AND no makeup to a Target in Memphis and not be paranoid the whole time.
16. Gas is cheaper in Memphis.
17. The news is more action-packed in Memphis.
18. Nashville has better roads.
19. It is harder to go grocery shopping in Memphis due to so many people using food stamps and such...which is a very sad fact but yet has taught me patience.
20. Memphis has an awesome cheap theatre, with cheap popcorn and coke to go with it.
21. Nashville has better music, AND better art.
22. Nashville is home to my parents, sister, brother-in-law, cousins, and friends. But Memphis is home to my husband and cat. Sorry guys, I choose Memphis.
nashville has la la la la la la rumba. memphis has better sidewalks for walking in your neighborhood. nashville has peaaaaaaa. memphis has jackie. nashville has honky tonks. memphis has Memphis in May. nashville has kelsa. memphis has lynza. miss ewe.
ReplyDeleteI wish we had a cheap movie theater to go to! And, by the way, me and Luke always go to Target in our sweats in Cleveland. It's great..that might have to change when we move to Louisville, so that I can make some friends and not scare people! ha!
ReplyDeleteLynsi, you failed to mention the biggest reason why you and Randy will be moving back to Nashville just as soon as you can............... Your very favorite uncle and aunt live there (or just outside of there). Nice blog. Making me proud every day. Uncle Mike
ReplyDeleteNow waaaiiiiiitttt a cotton pickin' minute there!!!! Memphis ALSO has your most favorite aunt in the whole world - the one, the only, Sandi Kay! living in it (well - practically anyway, Cordova counts as Memphis in certain situations). Also one of your favorite cousin's and absolutely world's best hair designer also lives in Memphis - Ambam aka, Karaoke Queen of the South. Not to mention, your soon to be Uncle and Jack the Cat's true namesake, Sir Jack of the Covingtons is also a resident.
ReplyDeleteWe mustn't forget these things, Lynsi!! I don't want to have to tell you again!
Oh - by the way - great blog! I've got it bookmarked, now all I have to do is become a member or whatever.
oh this is tough! I just can't choose between Memphis and Nashville. I mean, our situations are basically the same - just reversed. My home is Memphis and 3/4 of my family reside there but I LOVE Nashville. So I refuse to decide which is "better." They are totally different in my book; therefore, I can't compare them. But it's fun to read the differences and I'll think of some good ones to add. I love your blog too. It gives me something to do when I'm not yelling at teenagers or putting my bullet proof vest back on.
ReplyDelete